The Flood of 2016

On Friday, August 12, 2016, I woke up to the sounds of rain beating down on my window, thunder and lightning crashing in the sky. I checked my phone and noticed that school was canceled. I was so very excited for my day off. Little did I know, this day off would turn into about a month of school missed. The flood had a huge impact on everyone, weather they flooded or not. I was fortunate because I didn’t flood, however some of my friends and family did. We took a family into our home. It was crowded and a little miserable at times, but my family and I were glad we could be there to help. There was trash alongside the streets, stores out of business, jobs lost, and schools canceled until further notice. The community was greatly affected by this tragic disaster as a whole. My life was turned upside down. I helped friends, family, and neighbors tear down and reconstruct their houses. I was affected in many ways, for example, I was sharing a home with people I was unfamiliar with, I had to work extra hard in school to make up for the missed time, but most importantly, I had to get used to the fact that my city, and the people in it, would never be the same. It has been a little over a year since the flood, and some people are still not back in their homes. The storm that so many people underestimated in the beginning, changed so many lives in the end.

One thought on “The Flood of 2016

1. I like school, but I understand if you dislike school. I’m not saying to you to like school, but when I read sentences 2 and 3, I was like good luck surviving the flood. But then, when I read after, you said you didn’t got flooded. I’m curious what where you doing during the flood. I’m also curious if anything bad happened to you. I think people have told other people, including me, to never go out during a hurricane. If that’s true, well the reason why people keep doing it is because they ignore it or perhaps they say “I’m just going to go to my family in case anything worse happens, and I’ll take it over it if it does” which is still ignoring it. Well this was unexpected because you went to a stranger’s house. One day, a hurricane happened near my home, which I wasn’t flooded, but my street did. I’ve heard some people’s house don’t have flood insurance because it’s owner doesn’t let them. I even heard someone’s insurance didn’t want to pay off for the flood, so then he went to a dealership and I think they want the price cheaper, but the workers didn’t disagree him. It’s not always fun to have no school, especially if they were planning it but it was canceled